If you prefer not to wear fixed orthodontics, Invisalign is a great way to straighten your teeth without impacting your lifestyle.
The removable aligners are easy to maintain and allow you to eat whatever you want. You simply wear your alignment trays for 20-22 hours a day (taking them out during meals or to brush and floss) and change them out every two weeks to progress your tooth movement. Depending on the severity of your bite, most people complete treatment in 12-18 months.
How does Invisalign work?
Each aligner makes a slight adjustment to the position of your teeth. This is a process that is mapped out in advance, specifically for your situation. During each stage of treatment, only certain teeth are allowed to move. The next set of aligners will continue the teeth straightening process.
Who is a candidate for Invisalign?
In our office, patients that have minor to moderate crowding or spacing that do not need any major changes to their bite can be treated with Invisalign. Patients that have had braces in the past but have experienced relapse are also good candidates.
How long do I have to wear my aligners?
We recommend you use your aligners for at least 22 hours a day. You should only take out your aligners to eat and if you drink anything that could potentially stain the aligners (juice, coffee, etc).
How often do I change each set of retainers?
Each set of aligners should be used for 2 weeks before moving to the next set.
How long will my treatment take?
The length of treatment will vary based on the severity of the case. The average time of treatment for Invisalign patients is 12 months. More challenging cases or patients that are not compliant with treatment will take longer than 12 months.
What is the process?
- Schedule your initial consultation. We will let you know if you are a candidate for Invisalign or if other orthodontic options may be better for you.
- If you are a candidate for Invisalign, you will need to have a comprehensive exam with x-rays to make sure you don’t have any dental conditions that need to be addressed first
- After we’ve determined that you are in good oral health, we will schedule your impressions!
- Your trays will arrive to our office in approximately 2 weeks.
- You will be contacted for the bonding of your attachments and to give you first set of trays.
- You will return to our office every 6-8 weeks to make sure your treatment is progressing as expected and to give you your next set of trays.
- After your treatment has been completed, we will remove your attachments and fabricate your retainers.
Will Invisalign hurt?
It is normal to experience some soreness, especially in the first few days after inserting a new aligner. We recommend taking Tylenol for relief. Moderate to severe pain, swelling, spontaneous pain that wakes you up at night, and any pain that requires narcotics are not normal and should not be expected.
What kinds of food will I need to avoid during my treatment?
Because the aligners are removable, there are generally no diet restrictions during treatment.
Will Invisalign cause damage to my teeth, roots or gums?
Since we use very light forces to move your teeth, there is no more increased risk of root damage or other issues than those associated with traditional braces.
Will I need to wear retainers after treatment?
Yes. You must wear retainers for as long as you want your teeth to stay straight.
Do I have to pay for the treatment upfront?
No. After you make your down payment, you have the option to pay off your balance in 6 months, 9 months, or 12 months interest-free. We have other financing options for patients that require lower monthly payments.
Call Fayetteville Family & Cosmetic Dentistry today to schedule an orthodontic evaluation for yourself or your teen!